The Control of Biohazards training course has been successfully running for the past 38 years, thanks to the contributions of its director, Richard Gilpin. Control of Biohazards was initiated by Byron S. Tepper, Ph.D. at Johns Hopkins University, in 1979 and since that time the course has been imitated, but never duplicated. The course was originally held at the JHU campus in Baltimore, MD, and returns to the JHU Mt. Washington campus this August. The course has also moved to on-site training to better access those who would benefit from it.
The Control of Biohazards course started the ABSA International pre-conference training programs, which currently present 3 full days of intensive biosafety training, information seminars, and networking opportunities for those who attend. Our Control of Biohazards course provides in-depth information to participants with or without prior biosafety experience and knowledge in a way that is understandable.
Our week-long course is also intended to prepare individuals planning to take the ASM National Registry of Certified Microbiologist Specialist Microbiologist SM (NRCM) in Biological Safety Microbiology exam. Control of Biohazards is not just for those already in the industry, but also for those who are looking to become a research specialist in their future.
Below are just some of the recent presentations of this course:
- In August 2017, the course will be presented at JHU Mt. Washington Campus, Baltimore, MD in collaboration with Atrium EHS.
- In March 2017, the course was presented at the Institute for Research and Medical Consultations, Imam Abdulrahman Bin Faisal Univerisity, Dammam, Saudi Arabia.
- In August 2016, the course was presented at MedImmune Research & Development in collaboration with Atrium EHS, Gaithersburg, MD.
- In May 2014 and 2015, this course was presented at the Weill Cornell Medical College-Qatar, Hamad Medical Corporation and the Supreme Council of Health (Medical Commission), Doha, Qatar.
- In June 2014, Control of Biohazards was presented at the U.S. Army Research Laboratory, Aberdeen Proving Ground, Aberdeen, MD.
- In February 2015, we presented at Sandia National Laboratories, Albuquerque, NM.
- In October 2015, we presented at DuPont Experimental Station, Wilmington, DE.
Control of Biohazards is designed for research staff, research administrators, and safety department staff and includes continuously updated 1,170 page electronic handouts with hyperlinked tables of contents and references – not just boring pictures and PowerPoint slides. A four day version of the course can be tailored to your specific needs at your job site if necessary.
Contact us today for more information about on-site training at your workplace for any number of people at a cost equivalent to the tuition for 2 ½ attendees at the JHU campus course.